Thursday 12 September 2013

The List, The Diss- The New Face of Nigeria's Rap Industry


This is really interesting I must say. You might wonder what am talking about. Just hang on there, I will divulge that to you in a moment.

Well, this is somehow outside what I really put up on this blog, but I couldn't help but express how I have been feeling over the last 3 days or so on the present situation of the glamorous and rap-battle atmosphere that is being created by the top-niche MCs and rap musicians in Nigeria. Trust me, It has being very exciting and most defensibly alive in the rap arena. Who would know that we are blessed with bunch of talented and beat-killing rappers in Nigeria. And from the quick response of this rap lords, I have high hopes that our rap music is going to take a totally different dimension, maybe a 3D formation or something. Let me just go straight to the point!

If  you are a Nigerian and you are quite glorified by rap culture, you probably would have heard or read about the latest upheaval concerning a 'certain list' of the most celebrated top 10 rap kings and MCs rocking the Nigerian music industry. This list was published on a website, by the website owner (I guess) and so much dust have been raised from different angles, both from musicians and non alike. Popular rap lyricists you've probably seen on your display screens or heard on your sound devices sure made the list. The likes of Mr. Incredible (M.I), Ice Prince, Mode9, Olamide and of course Vector tha viper made the list of 9ja's 10 most gifted rappers in no particular order of mine. Am not going to tell you everybody on the list, if you want to know just Google it. I didn't put it there.

Now, this is why am writing this piece.

After seeing this very shocking list, some rappers who feel they are a bundle of gifts on their own, became unimpressed and with total dexterity, decided to lash out on the artiste that made the list and to also do what foreign MCs call ' A DISS'. We call it yabing in Nigeria.
But frankly speaking, the diss this list is creating is becoming awesome. Let me tell you why.

Personally, rap music is one of my favourite genre of songs especially when it contains powerful makeups of lyrics that tell any story, sick punch lines, steady rhyme pickers, and beats that strike a balance. In fact I love hip-hop. If you are a fan of Dr. Dre, Notorious BIG, 2pac Shakur, 50cent and Eminem, you will understand that this guys are the epitome of rap music, to me, no list.

Just yesterday, September 11th, I downloaded a song from my friend's naijamp3s.com website. The song was titled 'The List' by a guy named 'Rukus' signed by eldee's Trybes Record. Trust me, I've never heard of this guy before in my life. Who cares, all I wanted to listen to was the song. Hmmm...! I don't even know how to say this but I was 'caught in a tightrope' listening to this talented lyricist. Rukus or whatever he named himself, is a pack of talent. I fell in love with his compositions. Wow! I was outrageously flabbergasted. Just imagine what this list has caused... Something good and beautiful. Rukus is an epitome of my 9ja kind of rapper. He just knows how to balance his lines and set his tempo. And from what I read, he 'freestyled' the track and did it in a day or so after the list was published. I couldn't stop listening to this guy's vibes. He said he was the doppest rapper and better than everyone on the list, well I may be forced to agree with him on that. If you are on a parallel line on this matter, don't just waste anytime. Quickly enter studio and spit something, after all he said he was waiting for a reply from those he dissed. Ha!.. very funny.

Other disses have been spreading too. I heard some from Sauce Kid to Godwon, vice versa. Well, if that's what will bring out the creativeness and originality in our MCs, then let 'THE DISS WAR BEGIN'. Its not like am supporting anybody to punch someone's jaw here oo. Just do it vocally, lyrically and by the sounds of creative beats.

Now, if you ask me, not that it is any of my business, but I will have to say that I am not cool with that list. Its not just ok for me. wink!

So, as a lover of rap music and its agents, let me give you my own 10 most favoured and doppest rappers in Nigeria. I mean, have you guys even heard Phenom rap? He murders and resurrects rap like an ordained rap messiah. Same as Rukus. Anyway, no too much talk again. my list is as follows:

1. Rukus: (Don't hate him, his just so good. He made me love 'diss tapes'.)
2. Olamide: (This guy is fast and playful. his stories breaks and repairs themselves. He's so natural)
3. Phenom: (He showed how captivating rap can be in his duo with olamide in The Game. So sick!)
4. Terry Tha Rapman: (Electrifying and a well composed personality. His raps is just soothing.)
5. Ruggedman: (A Rapper with proven blend of lyrical rhymes with pure beats. Can't take that off him)
6. Mode 9: (Here's our very own twista. This guy holds your down as a rap genius. He spits fire. His mode is pure.)
7. Phyno: (I don't know anyone who can spit fire the way this guy does in his language. Natural MC)
8. M.I: (A rapper with an international style. He brings rap to us the way its done overs.)
9. Vector: (Strong punch lines with much pride and dexterity to explode. Powerful Vector.)
10. Eva: (Very few ladies wanna rap, And she's a sensational rap queen in Nigeria. Kudos)

The list above is based on consistency in the game, lyrical compositions, beat balance, sick rhymes and originality.

Everybody has a right to their own view, its a blog, so if my views hot, there's the comment link bellow. Say it! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what you think...